Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: a point is being missed

From: jns () cisco com (John Stewart)
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 14:41:36 -0800

->
-> Why in all this telnetd flap has nobody mentioned that /bin/login should
-> be relinked STATICALLY?  That at least defers the LD_* class of problem
-> until after login has done the setuid and exec, but still leaves things
-> like IFS passed to scripts.
->
-> Still, my own rule of thumb is that any binary that talks to the net,
-> handles inbound connections, handles authentication, etc ... should not be
-> depending on shared libs.  It's well worth the miniscule disk space hit.
-> Vendors, LISSEN UP.
->

And, not surprisingly, Solaris would indicate that this won't
happen. From the FAQ:

------=------=------=------=------=------=------=------=------=------

    In Solaris 2.x static linking is not supported for any of the
    system libraries.  All the functions that use /etc/nsswitch.conf
    (getXXXbyYYY, getpwXXX, etc) require the dynamic linker to
    load the code to load these functions.  It is not possible
    to write configurable/extensible functions in such a way that
    dynamic linking is not required.  E.g., you can add your own
    nsswitch.conf backend which would not be known to programs
    statically linked to only the standard backend code.

This recently drove a co-worker and I to the brink of insanity when we
tried statically linking "ls" for our anonymous FTP site on a Solaris
2.4 machine.

Seems like Solaris won't be able to handle this then, no?

--john