Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Intelligent modems :-(

From: phil () compnews co uk (Phil Male)
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 13:07:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Sun, 12 Mar 1995, John W. Temples wrote:

Have you seen the new generation of "intelligent" modem chips?
I just saw that it is to configure them from the remote end.

This is nothing new; most "high end" modems have supported this for
years.  Of course, you can always disable and/or password protect the
feature.

If it is in LAP-M mode, just send of AT*R to them (protected
with a preset password of QWERTY). You may also use the command
<1s>****<1s> analog to the +++ sequence. You may even load

I'm sure there must be a way to disable it or change the password?

There is - I had this conversation over a year ago here and if I had the
manuals to hand I'd tell you want it is (well on the modems we use
anyway) - but it is documentated in the manuals.

But if these chips are shipped with remote configuration enabled as a
default, since it's a Rockwell set, there will probably be lots of
"vulnerable" modems out there.

Almost certainly - I seem to remember it is the default on the Miracom
modems we were buying at the time.

--
John W. Temples, III       ||       Providing the only public access Internet
Gulfnet Kuwait             ||            site in the Arabian Gulf region

   ___/   /
   /_/)  /       Phil Male, Technical Director, Information Systems
  / /_ '/       PA data Design,  The Bishops Manor, Howden, DN14 7BL
 / / ///           Tel: UK 01 430 488 288  Fax: UK 01 430 433 111