Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security Problem ftpd (includes wu.ftpd 2.4 and 2.4.2 beta 4)

From: joerg.czeranski () informatik tu-clausthal de (Joerg Czeranski)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 18:09:08 +0200

Am I correct in stating that this problem only occurs on SVR4 based unix's
[where /proc exists]?  Or would, say, SunOS 4.1.x be affected?

This affect's Linux's /proc, but may well be an issue with SVR4's /dev/fd
directory.  While this doesn't exist by default on SunOS 4, there is a
commonly available kernel driver to implement it.

As far as i can judge it, the SVR4 /dev/fd file system is not vurnerable
via ftpd.  I've checked it on Dec OSF/1 2.0, 3.2 and Solaris 2.4:
The /dev/fd/* are neither hard links nor symlinks but character pseudo
devices and ftpd won't open them ("/dev/fd/0: not a plain file").

joerg

--
Joerg Czeranski                 EMail czeranski () informatik tu-clausthal de
Osteroeder Strasse 55                 czeranski () rz tu-clausthal de