Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Sol2.x Mouse EXPLOIT info - CORRECTION

From: bicknell () ussenterprise async vt edu (Leo Bicknell)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 17:09:05 -0500 (EST)

Probably you weren't mumbling "I love SMI" 3 times while trying Neil's method?
But seriously, as someone has already said, the bug is in one of the routines
of the driver in the kernel, which passes a pointer to u-cred structure
and the routine actually modifies the uid and gid (euid & egid as well) to
zero.

As for breakin code, I doubt if it's worth expecting it being posted
here.

        I'll start off by saying that we are entirely a DEC shop
here...so I can't test this out myself, but I would like to see
a complete summary of the problem (with some more details) as
I find this one quite funny...face it, as bugs go this is a good
one.

Why DEC ships off Ultrix 4.X with a weirdo /.rhosts which contains --
"#       @(#).rhosts     8.1     Ultrix  9/18/92"  (taken out of 4.4 ult)

        There was a bug as I recall that would allow
a user to create a file provided it didn't already exist
(something with mail, as I recall)...Since many systems
didn't have a root .rhosts, that was an easy way in.  I don't
think Ultrix ever had this problem, but there was a lot of 3rd
party code (based on some branch of the BSD tree) that had
this problem.  I presume it's DEC's (feeble?) way of
preventing it...

Why can't you make mountd on Ultrix 4.X reject mount requests from
non-privileged ports? turning on "nfsportmon" in the kernel doesn't
quite do the job properly. Things that make you go hmmm...

        There are several replacements for Ultrix's mountd available
with various features.  Can't say I know more than that about them.

--
Leo Bicknell - bicknell () vt edu                     | Make a little birdhouse
               bicknell () csugrad cs vt edu          | in your soul......