Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris 2.4 bugs...

From: casper () fwi uva nl (Casper Dik)
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 1995 16:34:09 +0100

Does anybody have information about the Solaris 2.4 bug fixed in the
patch Patch-ID# 102044-01 :
SunOS 5.4: bug in mouse code makes "break root" attack possible
The bug was in Solaris 2.3 and yes it was the mouse driver.
I'm still mulling over the propriety of posting the 3 line C program
that expliots this hole and gives any user root.

Personally, I'd advise against posting it - but some description of the
bug would be appreciated.  (Does some ioctl not check its arguments
sufficiently stringently, for example?)  Or if you don't understand it
and don't want to go to the trouble to figure it out, I'm sure someone
with a Solaris 2.3 system would volunteer to do so.  I'd volunteer
myself except that I don't have access to any such system.

The problem is that the code uses and changes the user's cred
structure, instead of allocating a new one (which is what happens
in Solaris 2.2 and earlier).

Casper