Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: mail.local.c patch

From: chris () rivers dra hmg gb (Christopher Samuel)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 10:25:08 +0000

In message <199502190124.BAA01431 () legless demon co uk>,
        Neil Woods <neil () legless demon co uk> writes:

open(2) doesn't follow symlinks when O_CREAT and O_EXCL are set, so we
don't have a race here.

From the tests I've done in the past, and from information received
from others on bugtraq, open(2) will misbehave on:

HP-UX V7.05
HP-UX V8.00
A/UX 3.02
Irix 4.0.5f

...so you can still have a problem there.

See the following for more information:

        ftp.dra.hmg.gb:/pub/TenDRA/staff/chris/symlinks-problem-list

Chris
--
 Christopher Samuel    Open Software Systems Group    chris () rivers dra hmg gb
 N-115, Defence Research Agency,  St Andrews Road, Great Malvern, England, UK