Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: passwd hashing algorithm

From: marekm () i17linuxb ists pwr wroc pl (Marek Michalkiewicz)
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 16:09:04 +0200 (MET DST)

Unfortunately, I've lost my re-discovery of the OSF/1 bigcrypt()
algorithm.  DEC are *very* reticent about letting details out and its
documentation is virtually non-existent.  However, examination of the
contents of /tcb/files/auth/p/pcl as I changed my password, together
with a few astute guesses, was all that were required.

If I find the bigcrypt() code again, I'll post it.

Paul

You can find a GPLed bigcrypt implementation in the source of Samba,
see osf1_bigcrypt() in password.c.  Samba is available from
ftp://nimbus.anu.edu.au/pub/tridge/samba/samba-1.9.11.tar.gz

Hope this helps.

-- Marek Michalkiewicz <marekm () i17linuxa ists pwr wroc pl>