Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: passwd hashing algorithm

From: watt () sware com (Charlie Watt)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 08:49:32 -0400 (EDT)

-----BEGIN PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----
Proc-Type: 4,MIC-CLEAR
 AANBAEY6kP5jHqK9B9PhZCCJ9mckYuKMufWr7l61LulXGwUTqFzjFC0MOYwXo5s+
 8lqrLQ7YpTzyE74pKR1cl5TAUU4=
Issuer-Certificate:
 MIIBkDCCAToCEQCFP7oDPZq0SSDfetbu5nSkMA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBAgUAMEAxCzAJ
 BgNVBAYTAlVTMRgwFgYDVQQKEw9TZWN1cmVXYXJlIEluYy4xFzAVBgNVBAsTDlNl
 Y3VyZVdhcmUgUENBMB4XDTk0MDQwNTE3MDQyM1oXDTk1MDQwNTE3MDQyM1owWTEL
 MAkGA1UEBhMCVVMxGDAWBgNVBAoTD1NlY3VyZVdhcmUgSW5jLjEXMBUGA1UECxMO
 U2VjdXJlV2FyZSBQQ0ExFzAVBgNVBAsTDkVuZ2luZWVyaW5nIENBMFkwCgYEVQgB
 AQICAgADSwAwSAJBAL4Od/KxhOB6HyUbBJC2X6Ic2P0XEcGnddzJ1QEHjSFyx5qz
 n098ScMWDEJSiwrsVmQFbNvN01hkke7ZE21aG5sCAwEAATANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQIF
 AANBAIBzwWRF5SkoGAdcliVyog2caFtsPrq7lyBIp562B+ckFNderoDTc+JW+i4f
 MhnY9Q9I2KrlZV4GqcpZ+GjAeNk=
MIC-Info: RSA-MD5,RSA,
 A+NGxT8ahv/jKOs0lP+6i3d6Ca3uEYkVHkuVoKmxgH2pFTwe7hBur+HfN6OE8l3n
 93IKqWV83/oAr2Cxxou7PfA=

SecureWare uses a mechanism similar to this and it is part of one of
their security offerings.  I've used a slightly different, but similar,
approach for several years

We do not.  See below.

I think the confusion lies in "similar".  Otherwise, I stand by my
remarks, source code samples from you not withstanding.

Meaning that your password was created when crypt() returned
"8F0Ovkj7jA9jE" then "jE.ofsJ4MaIt6".  If the guy with the crypt() attack
was serious, he should be able to generate a pair of keys which will
produce your encrypted password.

Yes, but your original message was not specific as to the resulting
hash output.  Both David Wagner and I understood you to mean that the
resulting hash was still only 8 bytes.  This was the cause of the potential
security hole that he outlined that made an attack significantly easier than
searching a single 8 byte hash space.  The resulting exchange of messages
strongly implied that SecureWare's products contained such a security hole.
I was merely stating that our product does not contain this specific
security hole (or any other of which I am aware :-)).  Our implementation
is equivalent to serially searching N 8 byte password hash spaces where N
is the number of 8 byte blocks (not limited to two) in the password (except,
perhaps for the final block).  Of course, it would be even better if they
had to crack a single 8*N byte password hash space, but as has been pointed
out several times to this list, this should best be done using a real hash
function.

Charlie Watt
SecureWare, Inc.

-----END PRIVACY-ENHANCED MESSAGE-----