Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Replacement for NIS? (was Re: Obtaining NIS domainname from Gatorbox)

From: mouse () Collatz McRCIM McGill EDU (der Mouse)
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 07:09:47 -0400

Is there a "better" NIS [...]
I'd be interested in hearing about any such.
We're running NeXTStep here, do you, or anyone else for that matter,
know of any security holes concerning the NetInfo NIS(type) system
that deals with our local information sharing?

I don't.  But I know nothing at all about NetInfo, except that it's a
major pain to try to deal with.  If you can find me documentation on
how the netinfo server communicates with its clients, and what it
speaks on the network, I can perhaps try to pick flaws with it.

All I know at present is that when I was running a NeXT with no
netlink, netinfo would consistently hang for long periods whenever I
attempted an operation, apparently trying to communicate with someone
else on the net.  I eventually discovered that I could use
        niutil -t xxx localhost/local yyyy...
for appropriate xxx and yyyy, to avoid this.  Why this was necessary I
have no idea.

I would have investigated more, except that the situation went away
before I was driven to.  But I have never seen any documentation on how
netinfo really works, only NeXT's usual useless "trust us, just run it
and it works".  Perhaps it would be usable with a better
implementation...but until and unless I see docs, I'm going to have to
consider it useless.  At least Sun's documentation describes YP, er,
NIS...in enough detail to write a server de novo.

                                        der Mouse

                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu