Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Replacement for NIS? (was Re: Obtaining NIS domainname from Gatorbox)

From: scott () Disclosure COM (Scott Barman)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 95 15:36:29 EDT

I wrote:

What's wrong with knowing one's NIS domainname?

Two things:

1) I realized why after I sent this.
2) I've already been told why by about a dozen people!  :-)
   THANKS everyone!

I keep hearing people say this about NIS.  However, when one is
running a lot of systems (including PC-NFS clients) it is fantastically
easy to administrate (especially when one is not a full-time sysadmin).

How about this for a solution:

Have a firewall block the ports NIS is using and make sure the router
is programmed not to allow NIS packets through an outside line.  Would
this work or am I still asking for trouble?

Then the questions come, what ports do I block?  On one setup, I already
block the ports for sunrpc.  Is that enough?

scott barman
scott () disclosure com / barman () ix netcom com