Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: udp packet storms - ping death

From: karl () bagpuss demon co uk (Karl Strickland)
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 1994 00:38:20 +0000 (GMT)

ObBug: if you use the SunOS tmpfs, try

cd /tmp; /usr/etc/mknod fifo p; ln fifo link; ls -ClFg link fifo

...but not at peak hours!

Sun knows about it and after a year, there's still no fix.  [As
far as I know -- if there's one, I'd love to hear of it, so I can
tell the computer center here to add the darn thing: after hearing
of this one, they hacked the kernel and removed the mkfifo and
mknod S_IFIFO system calls. <sigh>]

been looking into this & i know what the problem is - it happens on any
special node, not just fifo's.

sys/tmpfs/tmp_vnodeops.c needs fixing, but I dont have the source.

Mailed using ELM on FreeBSD               |                    Karl Strickland
PGP 2.3a Public Key Available.            | Internet: karl () bagpuss demon co uk