Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: full disclosure

From: nms () hacksaw rutgers edu (Doug Siebert)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 03:33:19 -0500

From: morgan () engr uky edu (Wes Morgan)

...text removed...

ObBug: As shipped, AT&T SVR4 3.1 for the StarServer E creates logfiles
        /tmp/rlogind and /tmp/ftpd.  The rlogind logfile is harmless
        enough, but the ftpd logfile includes userids and passwords. By
        default, the files are world readable.

Workaround: I could never find a patch from NCR/ATT.  I created an
             empty /tmp/ftpd during boot, protecting it at 600.  This
             does not prevent entries from being made, but it does keep
             the information (relatively) private.

--Wes

   Your solution uses the fact that an existing /tmp/ftpd file is appended
to if it already exists.  Using this info a better way would be to edit
the binary and replace the /tmp/ftpd string with /dev/null.  After editing
don't forget to update your cryptographic checksum database.

-nms