Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: full disclosure

From: morgan () engr uky edu (Wes Morgan)
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 94 07:50:12 EST

From: der Mouse <mouse () Collatz McRCIM McGill EDU>

[spaf () cs purdue edu]
I have yet to see evidence of this.  Based on my conversations with
personnel at various computer companies, the only thing full
disclosure seems to do is (sometimes) encourage them to release bug
fixes without quite as much testing.

Personally, the biggest pro of full disclosure, and the reason I follow
bugtraq, is that as far as security patches go, I am my own vendor.

Indeed!  Those of us who labor with older versions of the OS (and/or
a dearth of dollars with which to upgrade them) are in desperate need
of full disclosure.  Given the propensity of vendors to ignore all but
the most recent whiz-bang version of their software, it has become al-
most essential for any serious admin to create their own workarounds
and/or patches.

Consider, if you will, AT&T System V.  Up until Release 3.2, AT&T pro-
vided *wonderful* support; I received a nicely formatted Known Problem
List (KPL) twice a year, and the good 3b2 folks at Lisle would even ans-
wer questions from those folks without support contracts, if the problem
was serious.  The KPL stopped with 3.2; with SVR4, the NCR/ATT support
teams are allegedly grepping the source for the error messages when
users report bugs.  Toss in the fact that many of us are running sys-
tems orphaned when the ATT/NCR merger took place (the StarServer line),
and full disclosure becomes truly important, if not downright essential.

ObBug: As shipped, AT&T SVR4 3.1 for the StarServer E creates logfiles
       /tmp/rlogind and /tmp/ftpd.  The rlogind logfile is harmless
       enough, but the ftpd logfile includes userids and passwords. By
       default, the files are world readable.

Workaround: I could never find a patch from NCR/ATT.  I created an
            empty /tmp/ftpd during boot, protecting it at 600.  This
            does not prevent entries from being made, but it does keep
            the information (relatively) private.

--Wes