Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Breaking in from the monitor at the console

From: mjb () doc ic ac uk (Matthew Jude Brown)
Date: Tue, 31 May 1994 21:34:53 +0100

In article <9405310658.AA01182 () siltrain demon co uk>, George Hodson <george () siltrain demon co uk> writes:

PS watch out using "#eeprom secure=full", if you loose the password you can
have a lot of fun trying to recover! (you need a password to even boot!)
Mind you Sun will happily supply you with a new mother board (who carries
NVRAM's?).

It's not as bad as that -- there's a way to reset the eeprom.  (this
is bad in other ways, too, but then anyone who can unscrew your
machine case and use tools on the inside can probably break into your
system in lots of other ways, so ...)

-Matt

--
______     Morven -- mjb () doc ic ac uk -- m.brown () ic ac uk -- Matthew Jude Brown
\  __/___  Dept of Computing, Imperial College, 180 Queens Gate, London SW7 2AZ