Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: How was the majordomo bug found ?

From: Eric.Vyncke () csl sni be (Eric Vyncke)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 1994 08:44:42 +0200

(Graham Toal writes:)
The correct way to write such programs needs a bit more publicity
I suspect.  I'd knock up a 'how to' except that I'm really up to
my ankles in alligators at the moment and will be for the next month...

Without getting into the details of how long things were known since that
gets into flame bait, I'd kind'a like to hear exactly how the hole(s) were
found to learn better how to set up the appropriate traps to find such things
as soon as they get used...

I think that a vast majority of 'holes' in Unix programs are based on the
_DANGEROUS_ use of the system() function instead of the _MUCH_MORE_SECURE_
fork()/exec() combination.

From the developper's point of view, using system() or even popen() is a
single obvious line of C code, fork()/exec() combination needs about a dozen
of lines...

From the patches from Brent Chapman, it seems that majordomo was using
system() or popen()...

There should indeed be a FAQ about how to write 'secure programs'.

Cheers,

Eric
---
Eric Vyncke,  Project Leader
Siemens Nixdorf - Centre Software de Liege - Belgium
EUnet: vyncke () csl sni be Phone: +32-41-201654 Fax: +32-41-201642