Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Bad Advise

From: yzarn () mozart lahabra chevron com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille)
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 08:28:46 -0700

On Jul 26,  2:26pm, Mark Moraes wrote:
Subject: Re: Bad Advise
 | I was thinking about ownership of the whole ftp-tree by user `nobody'. Are
 | there any benefits to using `root' instead of `nobody'?

In general, I advise that one never lets anything be owned by `nobody'.
The user `nobody' has a specific purpose -- it's the server-side mapping
of root on an NFS client.  If you set anything on a server owned by
`nobody', root on clients can access it, if the partition is NFS
accessible.  And who knows when and how any partition might become NFS
accessible.  The Network is the Computer, right? :-)

      Mark.
-- End of excerpt from Mark Moraes

In this case, `nobody` really maps to `everybody` !