Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Bad Advise

From: smb () research att com (smb () research att com)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 94 00:28:37 EDT

         Here is some advise from Sun that I highly recommend you DO NOT DO.

         If you look at the MAN page for ftpd, you will see the following
         advise:

              the following rules are recommended.
              ~ftp)
                   Make the home directory owned by ``ftp'' and unwritable
                   by anyone.

         I highly recommend you change that to owned by ``root''.  If anyone can lo
         in as ftp, there is nothing to stop them from doing SITE CHMOD 777 to the
         main directory and putting .rhosts or .forward there allowing instant
         access.

         With advise like that, who needs trojans?

Of course, Sun's ftpd doesn't support chmod.  Not that that excuses their
advice, but it's not *quite* as bad...  (I'm talking about 4.1.x, for some
values of x.)