Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: this is interesting...

From: hoodr () hoodr slip netcom com (hoodr () hoodr slip netcom com)
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 1994 21:42:49 +0000

shipley () merde dis org (Pete Shipley) wrote:
Gee, last time I reported cracking activity to netcom they emailed me
with a note that basicly blew me off saying for me to fix he holes at
my site and they they do not have any security problems.

Ah...you've met Bruce :-)

On a more serious note, we do take security VERY seriously at NETCOM.
At times we get too busy to handle some events, so I appologize to
those who get dropped.  With 40,000 to 50,000 customers, security/spamming
incedents are happening every day now.  For those who are interested,
we are hiring sysadmins, network admins, and I believe we have a position
open for a security person too.  Send me a resume at work (hoodr () netcom com),
and I will make sure it gets seen by the appropriate people.

sameer <sameer () c2 org> wrote:
     Last time I reported activity to netcom they told me that all
their logs were nuked for that week, because of some problem they were
having..

When we run low on disk space, logs are usually the first to go.  We
are currently up to 2.2 GIGs of logs every week (and thats just the
shell accounts)!

I don't know... I got a nice note back from them in response to a forwarded
copy of a spam to a bunch of mailing lists by a user at their site (the
actuary () ix netcom com "Choice Trading Company, Court Appointed Liquidators"
spam):