Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security through obscurity, etc.

From: jsz () ramon bgu ac il (jsz)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 94 19:28:47 IST

On Tue, 13 Dec 1994, jsz wrote:

CERT consists of beaurocrats; 8lgm of posers -- what's a difference,
after all?

8lgm does not pretend to be god's gift to the net.

True: but IMHO, posting scripts that would add a "+ +" to /.rhosts --
or add a root entry into passwd file are useless; It'd make me respect
Neil & Karl, if they didn't post such scripts, and instead would give
detailed information about the vulnerability they found. I do respect
the amount of work they did already though.

At least you can't use CERT's advisory to crack root on a site, and wipe
out important files; 8lgm's advisories were, and in fact are being used
for those purposes as well.

I am sure this has been said by doozens of people but:
If you restrict exploits to the script hackers then only the script hackers
will know what they are. In turn, organizations like CERT will not know
what they are until some time after the release; when the effects can be
exaimed second hand.

Pick your posion.

My position is pretty clear: posting a breakin code on public lists causes
nothing but chaos, and needless panic. I vote no for full disclosure,
I vote for free information -- but without breakin scripts that give you
a root prompt. I am interested in statistics how many times 8lgm scripts
were used in malicious purposes. Maybe CERT might tell us? B-)

Consider it another fruitless noise on bugtraq.