Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security through obscurity, etc.

From: jmc () telecom ksu edu (James M. Chacon)
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 09:04:56 -0600 (CST)

At least you can't use CERT's advisory to crack root on a site, and wipe
out important files; 8lgm's advisories were, and in fact are being used
for those purposes as well.

Wrong...I've used the information in CERT advisories to give me a good idea
where and what I'm looking for. I've "reverse-engineered" so to speak a fair
amount of Cert's announcements into actaul problems I could show people around
here. All Cert's announcements do is delay the time people get to even know
a bug exists....I'm not really for the 8lgm concept completely, but at least
there they don't feel this overwhelming need to not hurt the various
manufacturers feelings....

James