Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Legality of warnings

From: misik () alpha dcs fmph uniba sk (Andrej Misik)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 1994 19:37:45 +0200 (MET DST)

I don't know about SunOS 4.1.3 but there is a file in SYS V Rel 4
(Solaris 2.3 is based on this) called /etc/issue that is sent to
the terminal before the login: prompt.  It is ususally sent to
the console and network connections, but not necessarily sent to
serial connections (I'm still trying to figure that one out).

        To be correct: /etc/issue is used only by getty. This is taken
        from issue(4):

-------------
issue is an ASCII file that is read by program getty and then written
to any terminal spwned or respawned from the lines file.

FILES

        /etc/issue

        That means you can't use /etc/issue for telnet sessions (since
        getty (actually ttymon) is used only for hard-wired terminals).

        Anyway, I'm also interested in equivalent of /etc/issue
        for in.telnetd.
--

        greetings, miso.

        E-Mail: Andrej.Misik () fmph uniba sk