Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Legality of warnings

From: Wolfram.Schmidt () iao fhg de (Wolfram Schmidt)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 1994 17:42:25 +0200

"J. A. Viehweg" <jviehweg () ahhgo com> wrote:
[ questions about warning file deleted ]
] I don't know about SunOS 4.1.3 but there is a file in SYS V Rel 4
] (Solaris 2.3 is based on this) called /etc/issue that is sent to
] the terminal before the login: prompt.  It is ususally sent to
] the console and network connections, but not necessarily sent to
] serial connections (I'm still trying to figure that one out).

As far as I know on SunOS 5.3 /etc/issue is printed by ttymon.
It appears on the console and on serial ports monitored by ttymon.
(Also on ports monitored by FlexFAX, which spawns ttymon on data
connections)
In.telnetd does not print this file. I wish it would (not neccessarily
the same file). Or perhaps login should print a file (as suggested by
the manual page for issue). The manual page for issue wrongly refers
to login and ttymon's manpage doesn't mention it.

For SunOS 4.1.3 the only file which can be sent to the terminal seems to
be /etc/nologin     1/2  :)

--
Email: Wolfram.Schmidt () iao fhg de
Voice: +49 711 970 2431