Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: root permissions

From: peter () haywire DIALix COM (Peter Wemm)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 21:17:19 +0800 (WST)

KevinTX writes:

    Well, this is not a bug but a question on
the design of most Unix systems. It seams to me, and
I tried this on Ultrix 4.3, HPUX 9.01, Linux 1.1.x,
when root opens a file, being the owner or not, the
system does not check the  file permissions before
granting him access. The same goes for writting and
unlinking a file.

I've long considered this to be "wrong" as well.  Forcing root to have to
obey whether something is allowed to be writable by root would close up a
lot of the various holes out there.  Of course this creates problems with
things like the traditional "passwd" program that would then have to know
to do a chmod to give root write perms to the password file..

What about adding an option to the open() system call?  eg:
open("/etc/passwd", O_WRONLY | O_ROOTPRIVS, 0);

That would allow a privileged file open to be explicit request rather
than an "accident".  Still, I wonder if it'd buy anything?  Would
slack programmers use the flag on everything?

At least, it'd solve the chmod inconvenience.

-Peter