Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: core symlinks

From: tdn () tdn xyplex com (Thomas D. Nadeau)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 94 09:48:51 EDT

aleph1> It's been mentioned before that core dumps on some systems
aleph1> may follow symlink and that this can be used to overwrite any
aleph1> file. I was wondering if anyone knows which OS's and versions
aleph1> behave this way.

                I believe that SunOS does not have this problem.  The procedure
for crashing SunOS is to first dump core into the swap space.  After
successfully writing to swap, it attempts to find a place on any of
the mounted partitions which will facilitate the core file.  If it
does find a place, it will then copy the core file from swap to that
area.  I don't think that symlinks have anything to do with this.

                --tOm