Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UnixWare

From: mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu (der Mouse)
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 09:30:48 -0400

This all got started because I tried to remind people that
CERT/CIAC/NASIRC/ASSIST/Santa Claus is not why we have problems; they
didn't put the bugs in your systems, and they aren't responsible for
fixing them.

No, but I had thought they had advertised themselves as a worthwhile
place to report them, and my perception, and apparently that of many
other people here, is that this is not the case.

The bugs came from your vendors, and it is up to those vendors to
provide working fixes.

In many cases, the bugs come from the original BSD (or sometimes V7)
code, and knowing this is valuable to those who are working with a
non-vendor version derived from that same code.  But CERT never says
anything like this; all they ever seem to say is "<foo> is a security
hole.  The following vendors have patched versions available, here's
where to get them.", which is useless in helping people with other
vendor versions, or people with non-vendor versions, decide whether
they are at risk.

That's one reason I subscribed to bugtraq - in the hope of actually
finding out enough about bugs to let me determine when I'm vulnerable.
And I'm glad to say it's done that.

                                        der Mouse

                            mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu