Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Locate wifi client

From: Robert Larsen <robert () the-playground dk>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 13:37:56 +0200

Hi

Thanks for the many many replies.

We are a fairly small company (~60 employees) of mostly computer
literate (we are a software dev. company) people.
And we have a fairly open network policy including BOYD, so keeping a
whitelist will be a hassle. Besides, it is easy to eavesdrop on the wifi
and sniff whitelisted MAC addresses and then spoof them, so we won't
bother doing that.

However, we will look into setting up a RADIUS server and authenticate
people that way. That should make it possible to match a MAC (even a
spoofed MAC) to a user, because noone will be able to route through
unless authenticated. Right?

An interesting suggestion was to use a directional antenna and a wifi
card that can emit radiotap headers. The card in my laptop cannot, so I
have ordered a USB card that should be able to do that.
The radiotap header can be retrieved using libpcap, and it will provide
signal strength with every captured packet, so I can monitor packets
from the machine, I am looking for and when my directional antenna
points to the machine the signal strength should increase. In theory
this will get me the direction from where I am standing. Moving around
and pointing the antenna around should give me enough to triangulate and
find the machine.
In theory!

I am sure the RADIUS server will solve my problem, but I will try the
antenna+signal strength thinghy too, mostly because it's a fun project.
I will provide details to this list when I have them.

Thanks again

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1