Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Running AV via SSH? (Was: Re: Bad Antivirus)

From: "Rob" <synja () synfulvisions com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 14:40:22 +0000

One step forward, two back?

1. You lose behavior based heuristics and the ability to scan/affect local memory/processes.
2. This requires sharing files that should not be shared even if it is via SSH.
3. Hella network load.
4. The permissions required for a proper scan/fix are a bad idea for a share of any sort.

Too much effort for too little reward. The gateway/IDS idea is good for some things, but can get very expensive in
terms of both CPU time/money and throughput limitations.

Just my .02
Rob