Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Running AV via SSH? (Was: Re: Bad Antivirus)

From: !s3grim <persephane () gmx eu>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 18:38:59 +0100

Thus having said you've made an assumption about the sshd and the kernel as well: Neither of of them will be corrupted
by an virus. Can you nowadays be sure about that? If you ask me, there's no difference between scanning for files local
(online) and scanning remotely, but the time and bandwidth consumption and the amount you want to spend for some
licenses.

Keep in mind, if your files got infected there's nothing you can trust on that system. Set it up from the scratch or
from known 'good' backups, having the latter quite difficult to be determined.