Security Basics mailing list archives

Question about passwd file (Linux)

From: Arpita Gavshinde <AGavshinde () securview com>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 07:24:03 -0500

security-basics@securityfocus.comHi all,

I have a question about passwd file in Linux where when 'x' for a particular user is deleted from /etc/passwd file,
system doesnot ask for password to log into the system. But when pasword is set again for that user again, then instead
of showing 'x' in /etc/passwd file, MD5 hash of new password is shown. Why is it so ?

Thanks in advance

Confidentiality: This e-mail and any attachments may be confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not an
intended named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person use
it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1