Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SQL Storing Passwords?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 14:38:05 -0400

First of all, storing salts next to a hash is not bad design, it
perfect. Why?
Sorry to play language lawyer here.... Gatuam said "Key", not "Salt":
"...so the hashing is done like this SSHA('mypassword','key')"

Keys are private parameters and salts are public parameters. If you
want to treat a salt as a key, it needs to be appropriately protected.

I was recently reading a paper from John Steven of Cigital and OWASP
on Password Security. His threat models required the use both keys and
salts. For organizations that have the resources, the key goes in an
HSM (unlikely in a Mom-and-Pop shop).

Jeff

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Alexander Meesters