Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SQL Storing Passwords?

From: Gautam <gautam.edu () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 20:10:31 +1000

Hi Jim,

The PWD in the table should be the actual hash of your password,
however they don't seem to be basic hash in your case.

They are salted and the key values in your table are the salt.

so the hashing is done like this SSHA('mypassword','key')

From my point of view keeping the passwords and the key in the same
table is a poor design, however that's what a developer generally do
so that he can manage everything in one space.

if you want to verify take a known password and take a 'key' value
from your table and you will notice that you will get the value from
the "pwd" field. Just check what hashing is used.

Notice this on crackstation.net 'Enter up to 10 non-salted hashes: '
:-) . that's why it will not give you any results.

Hope this helps.