Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need Vulnerability Management Tool Review

From: nekron 99 <noslen0822 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 13:03:05 -0500

It's a tough one.  If you run different scanners you will get
different results no doubt about that.  Do you take the summation of
both or just where they agree.  It gets really tough with older
versions of Apache or openssh where the CVE list get ridiculously long

Since RedHat and other Linux providers back port without updating
versions, you will get false positives.  If you don't then the scanner
is doing something else.  For instance, the nessus plugins look for
Apache.*(RedHat).  When found the variable that holds the  version is
Apache is artificially inflated to a super-high number (like apache
1.99.99) to avoid all the regular expression matches in other plugins.

I can see why commercial vendors don't want to auto suppress for no
reason.  If a vendor doesn't spit out all the CVE's then customers
complain that scanner X isn't doing as good of a job as scanner Y,
even though they both may not be looking at the actual patch state.
Consequently it forces the vendors to spew out as many CVE's as they
can match.

Auditors i have spoken to go back and forth on the Vulnerabilities by
versioning.  On one hand, you may have a version of code that is known
to be vulnerable to certain exploits, but you may have it configured
to not be using the feature set that has the issue.  Technically the
software is vulnerable.

Most auditors are looking for process and showing we are knowledgeable
about the issue and have documented response of why are or are not
doing something about it.

For Linux OS's that back port you really have to do authenticated
scanning to get the best results.