Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Need Vulnerability Management Tool Review

From: Metahuman <metahuman () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 10:27:37 +0530

IMHO, QualysGuard is something you should really look at
http://www.qualys.com/ Never have I seen an intelligent tool as this
one.

- M.

My Security Blog @ http://www.pentestit.com/

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Bryan <brakeb () gmail com> wrote:
We use Critical Watch at our office.  During our last quarterly PCI
scan (~3 weeks ago), the QSA used Rapid7's tool, Nexpose.  Between the
two outputs, we found that approximately 36% of the scan results in
Nexpose did not show up in our CW scan, and additional 24% showed up
in our CW scan that did not show up in the Nexpose scan, and the
reports agreed on the remainder.  This was with a total of around 300
vulnerabilities.  We are not running credentialed scans, so the Apache
and OpenSSL vulns found are largely false positives. We run RHEL5 and
6, so the scans appear to look at just the $version and not
$version-$release, so 'httpd-2.2.3-63.el5_8.1.x86_64.rpm' is seen by
CW and apparently Nexpose as '2.2.3'

We are currently talking to CW about both the version issue and the
fact they missed a ton of CVEs. We have also asked the QSA to talk to
Rapid7 as well.

This is just something to think about when getting one of these tools.
 You may not be seeing the whole picture.