Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: ROI data

From: "Mikhail A. Utin" <mutin () commonwealthcare org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 15:50:48 -0400

To the people who want to use risk estimate and management in information security.
Basics: Damages/Exposure/Losses = IxE - in a given year
Where I is the number of incidents in a year, E is the exposure for this particular incident, for this particular year
and for this particular organization in dollars.
1. How many information security threats/incident types do you know? We know that there are millions of know malware
instances, and much more unknown, and think about other like a loss of a memory stick, etc. Billions?
2. For each of such known and unknown threats you have to have the exposure value for each particular company, because
a loss of a memory stick with 200 customer records for HIPAA related company may cost up to $1.5 million, and not
related to such regulation - almost nothing. Same virus infection for one company could mean all computers affected,
and for other - only one.
And, moreover, you need dollar value for each component of such matrix of billions of threats/incidents and millions of
companies.

Please, note, vendors selling tools/SW/systems to estimate such risks do not have such "billions X millions" matrix.

That is about quantitative risk estimate... Such application of theory of probability does not work for Information
Security.

Best regards

Mikhail Utin, CISSP
Information Security Analyst