Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hashing passwords

From: Ansgar Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 19:55:34 +0200

On 2012-06-11 haZard0us wrote:
This may well be a silly question but, with this recent hashed
password leakage, I want to ask something about properly hashing.

The "manuals" say that we should create a salt and then hash it. But,
since calculating an hash is a "relative simple" operation (in matter
of processing power), is hashing two or three times the password (hash
over hash) a "kind of" secure method or it is as weak as not using
salt at all?

It can still be cracked but...

Yes, it can still be cracked. However, salting passwords defeats the
advantages gained from using rainbow tables, so cracking the password
will still take a significantly longer time than it would for an
unsalted password.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1