Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Are Proxy Firewalls a Security Hole?

From: "David Harley" <david.a.harley () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:02:07 +0100

First, the EICAR file isn't a virus or by any stretch of the imagination
malicious. It simply displays a text string.

Secondly, while most mainstream AV companies do detect and flag it, mostly
for the benefit of people needing an installation check, they're not
actually required to do so, and it's unusual for other types of security
product to detect it.

In any case, the specification of the EICAR file is deliberately very
restricted. If you embed it in a larger file, it's no longer the EICAR test
file, and most products that detect the real thing will, by design,
disregard it unless they detect true malicious code within the larger file.

http://eicar.org/86-0-Intended-use.html
http://www.amtso.org/amtso-download-using-testfiles.html
http://go.eset.com/us/resources/white-papers/AVAR-EICAR-2010.pdf

--