Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Are Proxy Firewalls a Security Hole?

From: Dan Lynch <DLynch () placer ca gov>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 16:46:21 -0700

Given that people are sending larger and larger files, proxy firewalls
seem to be limited since they can't inspect files after a certain
point and the 'stream', 'flow', 'express' AV options of many of the
proxy firewall vendors inspect only a portion of the large file. I've
been able to put the Eicar virus in different locations of a large
test file and successfully get the file through the firewall.

So, are proxy firewalls a security hole?

Everything's a "security hole". Since every security precaution is a compromise, there are ways to bypass any of them.
What's important is to consider the likelihood of one of those compromises being exploited, the value of the resources
being protected, and the cost of closing the gap.

In your example, the vast majority of threats being protected against by perimeter proxy AV are tiny files - some html
code, a script, etc. Capping AV scanning at say, 10 MB eliminates most threats, while preserving AV system resources.
The risk of a malicious file hiding inside an 11 MB zip is real, but small enough to delegate off to desktop AV.
Defense in depth.

Dan Lynch, CISSP
Information Technology Analyst
County of Placer
Auburn, CA

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1