Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: NMAP

From: "Mikhail A. Utin" <mutin () commonwealthcare org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:25:02 -0400

Hello,
Yes, you need tp clarify "active". By my experience, Nmap finds only active hosts. Whatever it lists are up, and
networked :).
In general, I see that you would be better using GUI Nmap rather than CLI, at least until you do not automate its
utilization/scripting it in something. GUI gives you better understanding of options right on the screen. Plus, I would
suggest taking a look on insecure.org and get v. 5.20 just released. Many thank to Fyodor for his devotion to the info
security community needs.

Regards

Mikhail