Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Mandate for Security forum

From: Mani Akella <mani () kidatwork com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:49:25 -0400

Hi Tore,

One thing I can validate is that each organization has it's own special needs, requirements and expectations that will
make working out of a template an "interesting" task.

In my own experience, the following steps, followed in order, have allowed me to come up with a mandate and policy
space that stay and grow in the organization, instead of dying a shorter-than-average corporate death.

1) (and this needs repetition till everyone is sick of you :)  ) - Invite representatives from all areas of the
business, even those that do not have any seeming relation to the effort.
Have them provide input and understand expectations as well as requirements.

2) Share drafts and have everyone provide written inputs (even if they have nothing to add/subtract, have them say so
in writing/email)

3) Make everyone signatories - or better, owners - of the final draft.

So now, pointers to the mandate:

The business of the team is to
        a) provide appropriate and relevant guidance on how to reasonably protect the information assets of the
organization.
        b) be resourceful and creative in the way they allow authorized users appropriate access while ensuring no
access for everyone else
        c) understand the business of the organization properly so that they can model InfoSec to be effective for the
organization
        d) be owners of the responsibility of InfoSec, so that the rest of the organization can focus on their own
areas of work.

Information Security is always about effective business rules, not the technology or toys. The rules will provide
guidance and direction that will help drive the correct technology choices.

Hope this helps.

- Mani