Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Directory Scanner

From: iftikhar <iftikhar () aidentech com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 10:50:03 +0500

Though not ideal, a partial supplement in this scenario is also checking the REFERER, can thwart automated tools to a degree

Regards,
Iftikhar

On 02/13/2012 07:45 PM, Calderon, Juan Carlos (GE, Corporate, consultant) wrote:
I understand authentication to these documents is not an issue what is
an issue is directory listing. IIS prevents this by default so I assume
you are using Apache, Tomcat or another server. So the best way to
prevent this issue is to modify your .htaccess file to avoid listing
files:

Here is an example of how to use it
http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess11.shtml

Regards,