Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: firewall change request

From: "Bahrs, Art" <Arthur.Bahrs () providence org>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 08:42:52 -0800

I bounced this idea off our Firewall Team and here is a response from one of our best...

My opinion (after creating several firewall change processes),

There are really four critical role components of the change process:
1. the requester
2. the implementer (tech)
3. the business approver
4. the service approver

In small shops, it isn't unheard of for the implementer and service approver to be the same person. They are usually
the one with the most security experience or technical experience.

However, each of these roles should have a clear policy to guide them in their decision making.
The requester and implementer probably have it the easiest as their guides are the technology requirements and
processes. The business approver will (in the absence of a formal policy) make decisions based on cost, time and
ability to provide products or services with or without the change. Then we have the service approver.

The service approver or risk acceptance role has the largest decision in the process as they must make the
determination to increase the risk to the business by opening up potential attack vectors. Burying the C-level with the
typical volume of firewall changes doesn't do anyone much good, but allowing the techs to decide may overlook some of
the risk acceptance decisions of the business leadership. And here is your conundrum.

We chose to look at the ability to operationalize as much as possible by defining a clear policy about what (in general
to the firewall) acceptable risk would be for firewall changes and then allowed the Infosec team to approve based on
those general policy considerations. Something along the lines of "adhere to NIST firewall guidelines for service port
rules". Anything that is rejected by the base policy or critical in nature can then be submitted to the CISO for unique
arbitration and approval decisions.

This cut our response time for firewall changes and minimized the volume of requests that needed to go to our ISOs.
They still make major policy decisions, but if they say it is acceptable risk to allow (for business purposes) RDP
outbound to specific hosts from specific users/roles, then the Infosec team can act on that decision going forward.

This was our solution to give the powers and ability to act to the appropriate roles.  Why should a C-level need to
decide every RDP request? They shouldn't. They should get the first request (that isn't addressed by the general
guidance), cooperate with the Infosec team to generalize the decision and allow the Infosec team to process RDP
requests in the future along those policies (until something comes along that necessitates the review of the policy).

Again, it is my opinion that unnecessarily burdening an operational process with strategic decision making is better
than nothing, but just barely. Keep the strategic decision makers at the "helm" so to speak to set policy, but get them
out of the transactional operational processes that require consistent and continual decision making that should be
based on a policy.

And just to clarify, I'm using the term policy in this response as a generalized term for management or leadership
guidance. A piece of paper with signatures and definitions is great, but the real policy in these cases is the guidance
and prior decisions from strategic leadership.

Thanks
Art

Art Bahrs, CISSP
Security Engineer (Oregon Region)