Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: firewall change request

From: kartik.netsec () gmail com
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 06:38:14 GMT

Since I am not aware of the hierarchy and size of your organization. Not sure if the below points would help but
still.....

"Infosec Dpt. shift which is small org unit , doesn't cover full business hours in part because they don't operate IT
infrastructure." >>The Change requests can be scheduled to be approved twice or thrice a week. This will solve the
problem of working hour.

Answer to the rest of the question:

Well, it all depends upon the size, organizational hierarchy, scope of work and last but not the least technical
knowhow of Infosec department or say the CISO.

You may look for an option wherein 1st level approver of Firewall changes is the Team-Lead/ Manager of Firewall support
group. The next level of approver could be the CISO/ Infosec department. In this case, Firewall support Team-Lead/
Manager will be accountable for the change; however responsibility would still lie with CISO.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1