Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: OS Level Backup Solution

From: josef <meineanschrift () yahoo de>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 23:26:59 +0100

Hi,

Backup Exec is file based only, so you would have to use Backup Exec System Recovery, which is another product.
Some companies also use both products at the same time.

here is a thread concerning this at symantecs forum:

symantec.com/connect/forums/system-recovery-vs-backup-exec

It is ridiculous that Symantecs product managers aren't able to provide clear naming. I have been searching for this comparison for one afternoon and am happy to share my thoughts with an admin friend who is using symantecs Backup Exec.

BESR is working but you have to keep an eye on updates. There have been reports that scheduled backups did NOT run and only updates were able to solve this. You have to verify that your backups work. This is some effort, but you have to simulate a bare metall or VM restore situation.

Also, it is save to use shadow copies in the windows environment. I'm running shadow copies an all of my windows machines (XP Sp3, w2k3, w2k8r2) all fileservers, BUT NO sql/ Exchange/Sharepoint or whatever MS database. I am able to create VMs or bare metal restore out of images. Can't say anything about Linux or BSD.

I am using BESR, Acronis True Image (now known as Backup and Recovery) and EaseUs Todo Backup in the windows environment.

In OSX I was able to image using g4u (ghost for unix) in offline mode, while ccc, carbon copy cloner, is my preferred tool even over timemaschine in hot imaging. Also on OSX you can use "time maschine" to save to a little device called "time capsule", which is apple hardware.

There is a nice project called Clonezilla, which offers a liveCD and a Server Edition:

clonezilla.org/clonezilla-SE/

Also, I just got to know Uranos, a deployment suite:

uranos.sourceforge.net

this looks very promising and together with clonezilla, it could be the perfect FOSS Backup, Deployment and Distribution tool.

merry X-mas to everybody!

best regards

josef