Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: OS Level Backup Solution

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 06:25:02 -0500

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 12:38 AM, Amit Bhardwaj
<meet.d.difference.amit23 () gmail com> wrote:
Hello All,

We are using Linux, Mac, Solaris and Windows in our network and OS
Lab. Please suggest me a software/product(that also includes hardware)
to take OS level backup of all the above mentioned OS. I am open for
freeware as well as propreitory solution.

I require following things to be automated:

a) Incremental/complete backup of OS and its content. I believe it
should be an image based just like Xenserver but i cant install
xenserver as bare metal here cause these servers are important and
running in production environment.

b) Automated backup and alert after backup completion or any problem
while taking backup

c) Easy to use GUI and very quick configuration fields.

d) Restoring should also be equally easy.

I have checked internet and have found Bacula as possible solution but
i am not sure if it takes OS level backup as i have mentioned above or
not.
Backup Exec?

The reporting server was written in Java, so it was a debug-everywhere
application. Other than Java compatibility problems on utility
servers, Backup Exec was fairly trouble free.

Do you plan on using tapes (perhaps LTOs) or a disk based SAN?
Faulty/tired/worn out tapes used to cause most of problems we saw in
the field.

For completeness, I have not used Backup Exec since the
8.0/9.0/10.0/11.0 days. 1|2|3 TB SANs were still expensive back then,
so we used tapes where folks now turn to SANs. The data center had
1000 or 1500 servers or so. A lot has likely changed.

Jeff

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM, Amit Bhardwaj
[...]

Seeking your help and advise.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1