Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Identifying Malware in Outbound Traffic

From: Henri Salo <henri () nerv fi>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:44:54 +0300

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 07:08:28PM +0000, hellkyng () gmail com wrote:
This is an idea we've been playing around with a lot lately. I was hoping the experts here could give us some
pointers to improve or modify our process.

We are looking at ways to find existing infections that have evaded anti-virus successfully within our network. We've
started doing this by monitoring web traffic for anomalies that we think indicate an infection. For example searching
for traffic to sites listed in the Malware Domain list. At a basic level this is finding some interesting results.

But I am curious are other people attempting similar things, if so how are they going about doing so? Any thoughts or
recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Helly

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion_prevention_system
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion-detection_system
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_based_intrusion_detection_system
- www-proxies
- Anomaly detection using "smart" firewalls, which can detect traffic in strange times, hosts etc.
- Forced firewall policy
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_least_privilege

Best regards,
Henri Salo

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1