Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: MSIS research

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 19:50:03 GMT

Interesting survey!

I sort of dislike question #4: "Please rank these concerns as factors in your organization's permit/deny evaluation
concerning social networking applications:"

This really depends on whom you ask. For instance, HR is going to claim productivity issues as the #1 reason to deny
social networking activities. As a security guy, I simply do not care about that. That's a managerial/HR issue. But
it's also one of the bigger driving forces in a corporate environment: to keep people from wasting time.

For other larger companies than my own, especially public ones or those that have very real secrets to protect, you'll
find regulations are a big driver. In addition, can you ensure that secrets won't be leaked by various social
technologies? No. But can you ensure they *won't* be leaked by removing access? Pretty much.

Hope you have fun with that research project. It certainly will be a passioned discussion with arguments differing
depending on who you ask!

<- snip ->

Hi,

My name is Steve Sirag. I'm studying for my Master's of Science in
Information Systems (emphasis on security).

My final research project is to discover the limits corporate
networks place on social networking applications, and how it compares
to online and print discussions of the same.

I've created a short, 10-question survey to collect the data, but I
need security professionals in the workplace to give me some feedback.
Please help!

Survey link:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/V3WCWD2

Thanks,
Steve Sirag
Woodbridge, VA

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1