Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Client End Point Scan

From: Shane Anglin <shane.anglin () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 11:58:49 -0400

Juniper SSL VPN has the host checker and endpoint security components.  But  the users must have admin access to their
boxes to accept the Juniper packages.  Note that when you do BYOC, you will run into issues, such as with iTunes
mdnsreponder.exe dropping VPN connections (unless you remediate that through Juniper by killing the service first)...
And VPN issues may pop up for situations where the user has another VPN thick client, profile issues with Network
Connect, etc... Lots of things can drop the connection on foreign devices.  Anything touching or changing a route will
break VPN connections.

Also, consider why your policy states about liabilities for when you clean infected files on the client machine that
were not in any way related your business... For instance, if the person has data on there that they work on for
another company... It happens although that is bad practice.  And consider the HelpDesk dept that ends up having to
troubleshoot all those different machines.  Are they OK to install EA Microsoft apps on non-corporate machines... Or
other such vendor issues.

If this is a PCI environment, consult a PCI QSA as you will find the BYOC situation can cause compliance issues.

Good luck!

Regards,
Shane Anglin