Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Network Sniffer

From: Nick Schroedl <NSchroedl () mullen-group com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:45:22 -0600

On a local LAN (same subnet) you could ARP Poison the client and sniff the
traffic that way, or MAC flood the switch and try to get the switch to
broadcast all traffic. On a remote network you (as the admin) could mirror
the switch port from a managed switch and then sniff the traffic.

Basically from my experience you would be looking for an ARP monitoring
solution.  Basically use a login script and force the MAC of the gateway.
But then again this is only from my experience.