Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Encryption

From: Ken Schaefer <Ken () adOpenStatic com>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 15:34:09 +0000

Without detailed requirements, this is a bit of a pointless conversation.

Numerous "folder" based encryption solutions are out there - that will encrypt everything placed into a single folder.
Additionally there are numerous full-disk encryption products out there, that will encrypt the contents of everything
placed into the disk.

I'm not aware of anything that will specifically detect only Office files, and encrypt those (I'm suspecting this isn't
a requirement).

Requirements wise:
a) how many users in the environment?
b) remote encryption (on remote file servers)? Or local encryption only? What about docs placed into other repositories
like CMDBs, SharePoint etc? (if required, then an agent is required to be local to encrypt the doc prior to saving to
the remote location)
c) sharing of files between users? Is this a requirement?
d) offline access to encrypted files (e.g. you have a Word doc that you need to read on a plane)
e) recovery options - how do you want to handle recovery access to the encrypted docs
f) What about the email system - are individual Outlook items (like emails, calendar appointments) also required to be
protected? Or only documents?
g) what is the full extent of "Office" docs? Just docx, xlsx and pptx? Or are other files required to be protected as
well?

Cheers
Ken